Choose your color scheme:
The Vette Barn  

Go Back   The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic
Register Photo Albums Today's Posts Search Experience

Off Topic Off Topic - General non-Corvette related discussion.

User Tag List

Share Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 05-17-2024, 12:35pm   #141
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner
Activity: 99.0%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_R View Post
My phone is in the center console, with the lid closed, when I’m driving. It’s in a leather case with a flap over the front - including the camera - unless I’m using it. So yes, I’m quite sure it’s not watching me. I’m not tethered to electronic gadgets. I don’t need to have the latest cool phone. I don’t need to talk to a “smart” device to change TV channels or set the thermostat. Neither of our cars has a camera inside watching us.
Your phone is still listening to you and your location is being tracked, even if GPS is off.. They know where you are based on the tower you are using. Unless you don't use any cell phone, you are being tracked. Any smartphone has a microphone and will use what you say.. I posted about this many years ago on the CF, long before it became common knowledge that your cell phone listens to you even if your screen is off. About 15 - 20 years ago, I realized that I was getting ads for stuff that I talked about with someone. I never did searches on google or anything else. All I did was talking with someone about a specific thing and next day, my facebook feed had ads for what I talked about. At that time, it was just a consipracy theory but it turns out, it's all true. You are being listened to via your smartphone. Only way to avoid it is to go back to a regular cell phone, not smartphone. Even with the non smartphone, they can still track you based on the towers you are using.
GrandSportC3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:36pm   #142
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 85.2%

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LATB View Post
Where am I paying a monthly bill and being tracked?

You have a cell phone?
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:37pm   #143
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
LOL. Never been on FB, Twitter, TikTok, etc. This and an occasional post on CF are the extent of my social media. Weird nowadays I know.

Here’s my phone in its case. See a camera? I don’t.
I would be a lot more concerned about the phone listening and tracking your movement rather than your phone seeing things.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:39pm   #144
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 67.1%

Thanked 34,023 Times in 11,970 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandSportC3 View Post
Your phone is still listening to you and your location is being tracked, even if GPS is off.. They know where you are based on the tower you are using. Unless you don't use any cell phone, you are being tracked. Any smartphone has a microphone and will use what you say.. I posted about this many years ago on the CF, long before it became common knowledge that your cell phone listens to you even if your screen is off. About 15 - 20 years ago, I realized that I was getting ads for stuff that I talked about with someone. I never did searches on google or anything else. All I did was talking with someone about a specific thing and next day, my facebook feed had ads for what I talked about. At that time, it was just a consipracy theory but it turns out, it's all true. You are being listened to via your smartphone. Only way to avoid it is to go back to a regular cell phone, not smartphone. Even with the non smartphone, they can still track you based on the towers you are using.
What in the actual **** does all that have to do with this:

Quote:
So, your smartphone camera is not watching you?? Are you sure?
My smartphone camera is not watching me. I’m sure.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve_R For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:39pm   #145
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
So then your original argument that no one reads the closing documents is invalid and false.
AT THE CLOSING, nobody or virtually nobody reads the entire documents like all the title stuff etc. Most TRUST their title agent that what you are signing is the same as what you reviewed at home prior to the closing. You are NOT signing the copy that was sent to you. You are signing the copy that is presented to you at the closing. While unlikely, it could be different.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:40pm   #146
ptindall
A Real Barner
Activity: 5.8%

Gameroom Barn Bucks: $56446

Quote:
Originally Posted by jw38 View Post
NHTSA found that Tesla’s driver-assist features are insufficient at keeping drivers engaged in the task of driving, which can often have fatal results."[/i]...what the investigation found after examining hundreds of similar crashes was a pattern of driver inattention, combined with the shortcomings of Tesla’s technology, resulting in hundreds of injuries and dozens of deaths.[/i]
This is the very predictable result I posted about probably eight years ago now. You cannot have a system that requires no attention 99.9% of the time but requires immediate intervention .1% of the time. Such a system is inherently dangerous because it ignores the realities of human nature.

Remember when we were told the upcomming Tesla model 3 would not even have a steering wheel? Self driving cars have proven to be a monumental failure. The investment dollars wasted on this have to be staggering at this point. "Luddites" 1, techie dorks 0.
ptindall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:40pm   #147
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
What in the actual **** does all that have to do with this:

My smartphone camera is not watching me. I’m sure.
My point is that if you OWN a smartphone, you are tracked and listened to. FACT
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 12:43pm   #148
Steve_R
A Real Barner
Activity: 67.1%

Thanked 34,023 Times in 11,970 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $1025333

Quote:
My point is that if you OWN a smartphone, you are tracked and listened to. FACT
Your point WAS that the camera is watching me. It’s not, so you’ve changed your point.

I’m not a criminal. Tracking me would be incredibly boring.
Steve_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:44pm   #149
LATB
A Real Barner

Thanked 24,502 Times in 11,119 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $8122190

Quote:
AT THE CLOSING, nobody or virtually nobody reads the entire documents like all the title stuff etc. Most TRUST their title agent that what you are signing is the same as what you reviewed at home prior to the closing. You are NOT signing the copy that was sent to you. You are signing the copy that is presented to you at the closing. While unlikely, it could be different.
It is NEVER different. And most are signing what is sent to them in a remote closing or signing electronically. Both have been the norm for years, it began years before Covid.

Additionally, one of the documents that you typically sign as part of a closing is an “error and omissions” document. And that give the parties involved the opportunity to make typo or technical mistakes correct.
LATB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 12:48pm   #150
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Your point WAS that the camera is watching me. It’s not, so you’ve changed your point.

I’m not a criminal. Tracking me would be incredibly boring.
I'm mostly worried about my cell phone listening to me. You don't know whom this information is shared with. Just try talking about robbing a bank in front of the phone, or anything else that may not be 100% legal. If I would talk about something like that (which I don't as I don't do anything illegal), I certainly would not have that conversation in front of any smartphone or smart speaker etc..
Old 05-17-2024, 12:49pm   #151
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
It is NEVER different. And most are signing what is sent to them in a remote closing or signing electronically. Both have been the norm for years, it began years before Covid.

Additionally, one of the documents that you typically sign as part of a closing is an “error and omissions” document. And that give the parties involved the opportunity to make typo or technical mistakes correct.
I TRUST them that it's never different, that's why I just look at the HUD and I'm all good at a closing.
Old 05-17-2024, 12:58pm   #152
Big bob
A Real Barner
Activity: 85.2%

Thanked 1,817 Times in 1,094 Posts

Quote:
I'm mostly worried about my cell phone listening to me. You don't know whom this information is shared with. Just try talking about robbing a bank in front of the phone, or anything else that may not be 100% legal. If I would talk about something like that (which I don't as I don't do anything illegal), I certainly would not have that conversation in front of any smartphone or smart speaker etc..
Trying to argue with the vice president of scam is like arguing with the engineer of soup cans.

Name:  laughing5.gif
Views: 38
Size:  1.16 MB
Big bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 1:57pm   #153
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III
Activity: 65.8%

Thanked 7,871 Times in 3,514 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $19752494

Quote:
Didn't know that I have to state the obvious.. If your lane of travel is not impacted, it obviously won't slow down.
There is absolutely nothing obvious about any of the stupid shit you say.

This is your original comment, completely unaltered:

Quote:
As I said, the system recognizes cones, barriers etc. and will slow down for them even if there is no speed limit sign.
Let's say that again. It recognizes cones, barriers, etc.... and will slow down.

How in the hell does that even remotely imply that the cones or barriers are directly in your lane of travel? If that actually was the case, and there actually are barriers (or anything else) in your lane, I would sure as hell hope that some arbitrary "slowing down" is not the action that it takes.

Your statement was very simple. It will slow down regardless of there being an actual posted speed reduction or not.

Will. Slow. Down.

Again, those are your exact words. There is nothing twisted. There is nothing taken out of context. You have since changed your answer to "will safely change lanes", which is not even remotely the same thing.

An absolutely massive number of construction zones have speed limits that change based on time of day or whether workers are present. An overwhelming majority of them, especially on highways have a reduced speed limit "when flashing" sign. The problem is that your shitbox doesn't know any better and will slow down to some arbitrary speed regardless of what it posted... kind of like it tried to blast through a f**king school zone at 3x the speed limit.

Yea, no biggie.

I'm sure they'll have it sorted out by "next year" just like they have for the last decade that Elon has been making bullshit promises that he can't keep.
RedLS1GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 2:12pm   #154
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
... as I don't do anything illegal
You mean other than that whole street racing thing that you brag about.
Old 05-17-2024, 2:16pm   #155
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote:

I believe this to be 100% correct. There have been many time when having a conversation with someone, that an ad popped up on my phone the next time that I picked it up. Ray Bradbury predicted this in 1953.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 2:24pm   #156
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS1GTO View Post
You mean other than that whole street racing thing that you brag about.
I don't "TALK" about that in front of my phone.
Old 05-17-2024, 2:27pm   #157
GrandSportC3
A Real Barner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yadkin View Post
I believe this to be 100% correct. There have been many time when having a conversation with someone, that an ad popped up on my phone the next time that I picked it up. Ray Bradbury predicted this in 1953.
This has actually be confirmed. According to them, this is only used for marketing.. However, I'm pretty sure that if you say things like wanting to assassinate someone, it will trigger some kind of notification to law enforcement.. Maybe if you talk about some income that you didn't claim on your taxes, coincidentally, you'll be audited by the IRS next year etc. etc.
I won't take any chances.
The Following User Says Thank You to GrandSportC3 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2024, 2:43pm   #158
Yadkin
Barn Stall Owner #112
Activity: 99.7%

Thanked 4,897 Times in 2,887 Posts

Quote:
This has actually be confirmed. According to them, this is only used for marketing.. However, I'm pretty sure that if you say things like wanting to assassinate someone, it will trigger some kind of notification to law enforcement.. Maybe if you talk about some income that you didn't claim on your taxes, coincidentally, you'll be audited by the IRS next year etc. etc.
I won't take any chances.
I guess that I should stop telling clients that I can take cash discounts over the phone.
Yadkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 3:01pm   #159
jw38
A Real Barner
Activity: 38.1%

Thanked 2,089 Times in 799 Posts

Quote:
Self driving is the future. The more data the system gathers, the better it will operate. You can't gather data by not using it in real world conditions. Having people gather data is the way to go. More data = better product.
I have been using FSD before when I had a loaner Model Y with FSD and it was nowhere close to the reliability that it is right now. NO, FSD is NOT ready to be fully autonomous but it is getting better at a very very good rate.. Last time I tried FSD was a year or so ago.. Since then, it has improved a lot. Drove 25 miles to the office today and it performed absolutely flawless with no close calls. Also 70 miles yesterday to a Restaurant in Celebration/FL and back. ZERO issues.. NO, It's not perfect yet but it is getting progressively better.
I will NEVER own a self-driving vehicle and I dought they will be "the future" for at least the next 30 years. This is what the know-it-alls said about EVs 5 years ago, and now that people realize how truly impractical they are for the majority of vehicle owners, along with the loss of taxpayer funded subsidies, manufacturers are backing off on their commitments to EVs, and hybrids are becoming more and more popular. Also, people have become aware of the absolute lie that EVs are better for the environment than ICE vehicles, because they're not. Tesla would not have survived without all of the taxpayer subsidies they have received and continue to receive. With the exception of the incredibly poorly conceived POS Cybertruck, Tesla hasn't produced a new vehicle for years. The Tesla slurpers believe all of Musk's lies. You can tell yourself that real world testing is necessary, but it sure as **** isn't necessary at my fami,y's expense or at the expense of others trying to live their lives.

Once again, you refuse to address the FACT that Tesla and other manufacturer's self-driving vehicles have KILLED people.

Quote:
Not my future.
Amen brother!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptindall View Post
This is the very predictable result I posted about probably eight years ago now. You cannot have a system that requires no attention 99.9% of the time but requires immediate intervention .1% of the time. Such a system is inherently dangerous because it ignores the realities of human nature.

Remember when we were told the upcomming Tesla model 3 would not even have a steering wheel? Self driving cars have proven to be a monumental failure. The investment dollars wasted on this have to be staggering at this point. "Luddites" 1, techie dorks 0.
100% correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
So you never used cruise control?
Absolutely, but it's 100% controlled by ME
jw38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2024, 3:07pm   #160
RedLS1GTO
C4 Mod
Barn Raising II,III

Quote:
I don't "TALK" about that in front of my phone.
Ahhhhh. Well as long as you don't talk about it...

I stand corrected on one of my previous statements. I do indeed like to watch 1 thing on youtube and that is videos of street racing asshats getting splattered across the pavement.

The Vette Barn > Off Topic/Babes/Other > Off Topic