10cm member
Barn Stall Owner #90125

NCM Supporter '19,'20
Activity: 99.3%

Thanked 42,226 Times in 17,584 Posts
Gameroom Barn Bucks: $2621492

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big bob View Post
You call miss dig they mark where anything is. Then get permission to turn the water off or have them do it. Start at the house cut the line dig as you pull to where you disconnected it from the meter. How far is it from the house to the meter? Why would you care if they damage the leaking line you're replacing?

Or even better just leave the old line in. I have fixed many with a tractor with a breaking plow a hundred feet only takes a few minutes to trench.
In Texas, you call 811 (not sure if 1-800=DIG-TESS is still good or not). You're calling to locate really all the other utilities, so you don't sever a CATV/phone/fiber line. Your electric and gas lines are going to be much deeper than the water line here, but it's still a nice reminder of where everything is.

Permission to turn water off? What? People here turn the water off when there's a rare hard freeze, or maybe when they're going on vacation for a while, etc. Why would you need permission to do that? Even if you did for some odd reason, who's going to know or care?

Replacing the whole line is overkill and unnecessary. What's needed is what I suggested.....locate out the line, carefully dig it up closer to the house, see which way the water is flowing, then rinse and repeat until you find the problem. That's lots easier than just digging up the whole thing. I'm betting the shifting soil broke a connection fitting loose.
Bill is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bill For This Useful Post: